Fast technological advancements have resulted in the rapid development of the digital culture. Therefore, digital culture is inseparably linked with our tangible world and culture as both cultures share elements and form our modern societies. Each culture affects the other and somehow impacts our broader societies.
In this regard, social media has become the most popular digital tool in recent years. Social media play a crucial role in our everyday lives. These platforms are forms of electronic and interactive technologies. People use social media channels such as Facebook and Instagram to engage, communicate and e-meet with others, exchange ideas, share personal moments, shop, have fun, and even stay informed. In general, we produce and exchange information and opinions through social media via virtual communities and networks.
How can we participate online? What is the role of social media? And what are the tools that we can use to promote our work?
The goal of the ‘’Digital Culture Promotion in social media & beyond’’ module is to make students aware of the crucial role that social media play in our everyday lives. The module outlines how social media can contribute to developing our digital culture and change the structure of our tangible world, how social media platforms can be useful to introduce innovations, disseminate ideas, and function as an online community with its own rules sometimes. Students will also learn about the new development opportunities that social media have opened and how fast technological advancements have resulted in the rapid development of the digital culture and economy.
By the end of this module, learners will be able to:
- Understand how social media works, what are algorithms and how exactly do they work
- Identify the side effects of social media, the risks and consequences that can affect not only individuals but also broader societies
- Define the concept of the digital economy and understand its applicability
- Understand what digital engagement is and identify the ways in which customers and clients can come in contact and interact with a business or brand.
- Identify new forms of art and understand how social media has also been influencing art thanks to the rapid technological advances and access to the online world.
This Digital culture promotion in social media and beyond module is recommended for people willing to know more about social media both for personal and business purposes, how the algorithms work and their ways of monetisation. Students can use this knowledge as a background to exploit social media to boost their businesses, creations or artwork. Finally, students will be able to reflect, debate and offer personal insights into the topics discussed by participating in forum discussions with other students.