The rise of digital and online technology has not simply influenced the way in which we live and connect, but it has revolutionised the traditional ways of understanding culture. The existence of a distinct digital culture is noticeable due to technological developments and seems quite different to what came before. However, culture in its core sense is nothing new, therefore it is impossible to state with certainty whether the new evolution was caused by ICTs.
Digital culture is characterized by constant change. It is a dynamic process based on continuous and interactive communication. This flux is also encouraged by digital developments which, thanks to the reciprocal influence of mass media and digital networks, have repercussions on social and cultural change.
But, do you know what exactly Digital Culture is and what are its characteristics? Do you know how digital transformation has affected our societies? And what is the role of media literacy?
The goal of the ”Digital Culture” module is to introduce students to the concept of Digital Culture and to the changes that the era of technological advances has brought and how this gave a new meaning not only to our everyday lives but to the whole world.
By the end of this module, learners will be able to:
- Define digital culture, its importance, and where it is applied
- Identify and recognize digital transformation in current societies
- Define the concept of media literacy and its significance by applying ways to become media literate and ensure the digital well-being
- Identify the risks of the online world that one is faced at a personal and societal level
- Identify the significance of participation in the offline and online world
This Digital Culture module is recommended for people willing to know more about the digital world, its implications on our everyday life and use this knowledge as a background to work with digital technologies in different fields. Finally, students will be able to reflect, debate and offer personal insights into the topics discussed by participating in forum discussions with peers.